Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Monday, November 23, 2020

Re: [nafex] Pawpaw seedlings - true to parent?

Thanks Lucky,
 I look forward to my seedlings fruiting.

The 'wild' card at my place is the big clonal stand in the creek bottom
1/4 mile from my cultivated patch. I have seen the wild pawpaws flower,
but they are in the forest, so never set fruit  (that I have seen).

I wonder if they are close enough to pollinate my cultivated patch. If
so, they would dilute the 'good' selected variety genetics and progeny.

Elizabeth


On 11/23/2020 5:02 PM, Louis Pittman wrote:
> Other than these handful of seedlings grown from seed I bought from
> Tollgate Nursery (Corwin Davis' daughter and son-in-law) , years ago, I've
> not really kept any to fruiting... have given away many seedlings and
> numerous quarts of seed from grafted trees - but at this juncture, I can't
> tell you what the parent variety is for any of these seedlings, nor which
> still have many or any of their multiple grafts still in existence. Other
> than one graft of Mango on a wild pawpaw growing in the fenceline well away
> from the house, I can't identify any of my pawpaw grafts anymore.
>
> So... not my own personal experience, but some of the earliest literature I
> encountered from the resurgence of interest and research into pawpaws, back
> at least into the early 1990s - by folks like Desmond Layne, Corwin Davis,
> etc., suggested that a high percentage of seedlings produced fruit similar
> to, if not comparable to, that of the parent variety. John Gordon offered,
> in addition to named variety graftlings and scionwood, several
> named-parentage seedling pawpaw selections, which he usually denoted as SAA
> (Saved As 'A')... like SAA Zimmerman, etc., which was a seedling of
> Zimmerman that produced fruit all but indistinguishable from the parent
> tree.
>
> Lucky
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 2:31 PM Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lucky,
>>
>> Is that your personal experience? Or can anyone else on list vouch for
>> this?
>>
>> I have not had pawpaw seedlings fruit yet, but I have seen diametrically
>> opposed opinions on this around the 'net.
>>
>> Elizabeth
>>
>> On 11/23/2020 8:37 AM, Louis Pittman wrote:
>>> Pawpaw fruits from named-parentage seedlings are
>>> quite similar in most respects to those of the parent variety.
>>

--
Elizabeth Hilborn, DVM
Bee Well Mobile Veterinary Services, PLLC
beewellvet.com

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment