Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Re: [nafex] paw paw taste -pawpaw-associated illness

I dry much of my fruit as I can't eat it all fresh nor do I have the
freezer space.

A memorable experiment was dried pawpaw.
Slices of beautiful, ripe fruit set in my dehydrator. Dried to
perfection. Imagine my delight when I first tasted the dried fruit.
Sweet, fruity, leathery, but easy to chew. I ate a single piece then
went out to do evening farm chores. Within an hour I started feeling
bad. Abdominal pain then a building nausea.

I was not able to eat dinner that evening. Felt well in the morning.

The next evening as I unloaded the dehydrator I ate another piece of
dried pawpaw. Again within an hour, the same deal- pain, nausea. I had
to go lay down for the night. Again, no dinner.

Maybe some people do not feel well after eating the fresh fruit and stop
enjoying it over time.

I have NO idea why dried pawpaw does this to me while I can still eat
(and enjoy) fresh pawpaw.

Any ideas?

Elizabeth

On 11/24/2020 8:25 AM, Lee Reich wrote:
> I think it takes a certain amount of eating pawpaws to lose your taste for them. I've noticed this in other once-pawpaw-enthusiasts also.
>
> Lee
> Lee Reich, PhD
> Come visit my farmden at
> http://www.leereich.com/blog <http://www.leereich.com/blog>
> http://leereich.com <http://leereich.com/>
>
> Books by Lee Reich:
> •The Ever Curious Gardener: Using a Little Natural Science for a Much Better Garden
> •A Northeast Gardener's Year
> •The Pruning Book
> •Weedless Gardening
> •Uncommon Fruits for every Garden
> •Landscaping with Fruit
> •Grow Fruit Naturally
>
>> On Nov 24, 2020, at 5:47 AM, Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have only tasted two named varieties Mango and Shenandoah. They were both delicious, sweet, fruity, bright without the taste/smell of overripe banana (tang) that the wild fruits contain.
>>
>> There was a 6 year gap between tasting them so I cannot compare their tastes directly. I do remember the mango surprised me with its deliciousness.
>>
>> In my experience, the selected varieties are worth the effort. That is why I keep trying to buy grafted trees and to graft my sprouts.
>>
>> Elizabeth
>>
>> On 11/24/2020 5:41 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:
>>> I believe that some people can taste the slight toxic tang of paw paws and
>>> some can't. Those that can't think they are absolutely delicious and those
>>> that can are never big fans. Unfortunately, like Lee, I fall in the latter
>>> group.
>>>
>>> I've never tasted a Peterson variety, though.
>>> __________________
>> ps://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex


--
Elizabeth Hilborn, DVM
Bee Well Mobile Veterinary Services, PLLC
beewellvet.com

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment