Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Re: [nafex] Szukis persimmon

Hi Jay,

Thank you for the reply -- this is very interesting, and hopefully
fortunate. I was friends with John Gordon Jr. We spoke quite often and I
intended to visit him, at some point. I miss him; an extremely
intelligent, good person. At the time of knowing him, he told me that he
had Szukis on it's own roots -- which he offered to send me roots of, and I
learned about the history of the variety from him, as well as a lot of very
interesting thing's regarding George Slate's work with persimmons. At the
time, I didn't see that value of having Szukis on it's own roots, as I was
just learning how to graft and figured there would be no reason to have it
on it's own roots. I greatly regret not taking John up on the offer. One
thing of significant memory value to me is that he sent me wood of his
favorite Cornus mas, and I sent it to others. I had no success at grafting
it -- but a friend succeeded, so one day I'll be able to grow that.

Would you please consider sending me a cutting of the roots from Szukis? I
was trying to find someone who might have it. I even contacted relatives
of the Szukis family, and a family member was going to give me the
information on the current owners of the property, but said that she
thought it would be gone now. She offered to send me root cuttings of a
tree that was a seedling from Lydia Szukis' tree, but my objective was to
have roots specifically from Szukis itself, that John offered to send me.


If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please consider sending me a piece of
the roots so that I can place the root cutting in soil and have it grow
into a tree, ungrafted.

Thank you,
Steve

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I have two Szukis plants in NM at 7000 elevation. I got them from the late
> John Gordon (am I remembering the name right) of western NY as shoots on
> their own roots from a tree that he had.
>
> I had communicated with him about losing the tops of the grafted
> persimmons I kept trying to plant here. He had told me at first that you
> couldn't get named varieties on their own roots because they were too hard
> to make cuttings of but then he was able to get some rooted shoots.
>
> In this region the tops often died during their early years but now two of
> the original three have established themselves and at least some of the top
> survives. They are about 3 or 4 feet tall after at least 12-15 years.
>
> I also have another persimmon that grew up from the roots of an earlier
> grafted plant. Don't know if it is male or female. It's probably close to
> 20 years old and is about 6 feet high. I've never noticed flowers on it,
> nor on the two younger plants.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jay
>
> Jay Cutts
> Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
> Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
> Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Flash Cards
> Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book
> (505)-281-0684
> 10 am to 10 pm Mt Time, 7 days
>
>
> On 1/7/2017 12:01 PM, sc wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Is anyone growing the 'Szukis' variety of persimmon -- in a location
>> where there are nearly certainly no (northern strain) wild populations of
>> persimmon around?
>> Thank you,Steve (NJ)
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list
>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment