Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Friday, January 6, 2017

Re: [nafex] Fruit trees -- high water table

Hi Rivka,

I definitely would agree -- if it turns out that there is too much I need
to do in order to get things right; however, so far, the seasonally water
table being 24" to 36" below the ground surface might not be such a big
problem. What might cause me to pass this up is if I thought I'd be better
off with a soil which is a little bit closer to neutral. I'm in no rush,
but don't want to pass up a good thing; nice ponds and streams coursing
thought the property; deep soils without loosing out on the presence of
rocky outcroppings, which I find Ideal. Usually, in my area, rocky
outcroppings mean a very shallow soil until you hit bedrock; in this case,
you get the rock without having to have this be the case.. glacial till.

I want to grow rare ferns and calcium-dependent perennials like purple
milkweed and Indian (scarlet) paint-brush. I don't know if liming a field
yearly is something I am interested in doing; I'm interested in sustainable
permaculture and nature-scaping. I would, however, be willing to add rock
and gravel (calcareous -- calcium & magnesium-rich dolomite, for instance)
to the landscape if this would confer a persistent alteration to the soil.
For instance, bring in a few truck loads of dolomite gravel and dump it on
a small field, spread it out, and later seed it with Indian paint-brush
(Castilleja coccinea). Anyone think this would work, long-term?

Thank you,
Steve (NJ)



On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> I don't know whether your proposal would eventually provide suitable soil
> for the trees in question, even after the time needed for all that
> "non-valuable" lumber to break down. But I do have a couple of other
> comments:
>
> Do you have the option of continuing your search until you find a place
> that meets whatever your other criteria are, and that doesn't need major
> work done before you can plant? If so, I'd think that would make more sense.
>
> Whatever you buy: make sure to check out the available water supply, both
> for quality and quantity.
>
>
> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
> Fresh-market organic produce, small scale
>
>
>
> On Jan 6, 2017, at 1:51 PM, sc wrote:
>
> > Hi, Ive been working at searching for a property. One I will check out
> next features a soil type which is categorized under the "Rockaway Series".
> > Rocky, sandy, deep, supposedly well-dained soul, but there is a 14" clay
> fragipan a couple of feet down.
> > A seasonally high water table is of special concern; water table during
> is just 18" - 30" under the soil surface during these times.
> > Also, the soil is very acidic (pH of 5).
> > My focus is on growing native persimmon, paw paw, native plums (P.
> americana, P. munsiniana, P. angustifolia) and apples.
> > However, I would also like to grow Cornelian-cherry, sour cherry and
> apricot.
> > In dealing with the issue of a high water table, the thought I had was
> to clear 9 acres of upland woods (necessary for the creating space for the
> projected orchard) and then dump all of the non valuable lumber and rock on
> 3 acres of the cleared orchard surface then overtop with a few inches of
> top soil/sand.
> > On this 3 acres, i could plant apricot, stone fruits, etc.
> > I think persimmon, hickory, chestnut, paw paw would do ok with a
> seasonally high water table just 2' below the surface?
> > It might not be the right site. Then there's the issue of pH. I'd
> Would something like this work?
> >
> > Thank you,Steve NJ
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment