Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

[nafex] Lee Reich's comment

"In my experience, figs that die to ground level set fruit much too late to
ripen". Which is also my experience with figs out in the open north of NY
City, but as I understand it, in the Bronx and points further south by the
coast, many varieties can ripen fruit after plants have frozen to the
ground the previous winter, If you had them under plastic it figures to
lengthen the season by a zone or 2.

LSU purple, as I recall, was intentionally selected to be capable of this
throughout the south. If you were growing them in something colder than Z5
some heat source might be necessary but from Z5 up my hunch is that early
ripening varieties would yield good fruit.

My fig trees are in Whitcomb bags and I pop them out with a spade every
year in late Nov. and store them in my unheated well house. They are among
my most pest free, reliable cropping fruit. Last season only they and my
blueberries actually did great.
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment