Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Re: [nafex] Example of stonefruits nut trees thriving in high-water, acidic soi

@Betsy: This is sound advice. If I learn that pH of 5.0 is makes it a
maybe property, then I'll pass -- which is what I'm looking to find out.
Because I do not want to lime my fields. I will create a native
wildflower/grass meadow around the trees, just mowing under the areas near
the trunk, and do not anticipate tilling the soil on a repeated basis.

@Rivka: For sure some of these are cultivar and root-stock dependent. I
know of a situation of pecans growing on acidic, high-water table sandy
soil; all but one tree does well on those conditions there.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> For what it's worth:
>
> When I first moved here, there were some naturalized daffodils growing in
> a wet spot where I was about to have some tile line put through. I dug some
> of them up, and, under the impression that if they were in a wet spot that
> must be what they liked, moved them to another wet spot on the property
> (neither spot is wet all year, but both are sodden for significant parts of
> every year, and shallow soil over rock outcrops). They naturalized on the
> new spot, and survived in the old one, and I now have daffodils coming up
> wild in both areas every spring (they've never gotten any further care.)
>
> Years later, I read that daffodils must have well drained soil.
>
> For that matter, I've grown a whole lot of quality vegetables on what's
> not supposed to be good vegetable ground; and some very nice-flavored
> peaches and plums on what's not supposed to be good stone fruit ground. The
> trees were short lived, but that probably is due partly to climate and
> partly to my not having taken very good care of them.
>
> -- I suspect that some of these things are cultivar/root stock dependent;
> and also that at least some cultivars of most plants will do reasonably
> well in conditions that are less than theoretically ideal for them.
>
> The Extension and similar recommendations also tend to be for highest crop
> production, which is not necessarily the same as for best flavor, best
> insect resistance, etc. Are you intending to grow commercially? If so, are
> your markets likely to be willing to pay extra for flavor, or are they
> likely to only be interested in tonnage?
>
> (I seem to have moved from trying to talk you out of this place into
> trying to talk you into it. But on your further description it's neither as
> acidic nor as wet as I first thought you were describing.)
>
>
> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
> Fresh-market organic produce, small scale
>
>
>
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment