Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Monday, January 9, 2017

Re: [nafex] Soil pH 5.0 -- with these minerals, no need to lime?

Comments for Rivka & Alan here bellow

Rivka@I will definitely test multiple areas on the site; hopefully some of
the ares are of high pH... woudln't doubt it. But if I incorporate lime
into the planting hole for each individual tree (in addition to applying
some overall tot he surface), won't what I added to the hole eventually get
used up, so that this is only a temporary benefit. Looks like the
advantage of this might be temporary. Also, I gather that it would be
acceptable for me to apply just on the surface, and not have to till it
in. If so, this is good. Yes -- more opposed to tillage on the site than
applying lime on surface. Secondly, since the soil is a course sandy loam
substrate that is loosely held together, I think that the lime would
penetrate into the soil. Lastly, since this particular soil contains
traces of magnesium, I think this would be of help.

@Alan: "Quick drainage and a moderate amount of water stress seems to send
the carbohydrates to fruit at the expense of vegetative growth." This is
good to know; and what I've always suspected I've observed -- or that
smaller fruit means more sugar per volume, as there is less water in the
fruit?

Thank you,
Steve



On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

>
> On Jan 9, 2017, at 12:33 AM, Steven Covacci wrote:
>
> > I don't mind
> > scattering limestone gravel around for the surface layer. The last thing
> > I'm interested in doing is tilling up acres of ground and destroying,
> > simultaneously, acres of meadow habitat.
>
> Ah, I see. I was confused about why you were so opposed to lime; but
> you're not opposed to lime, you're opposed to tillage on this sort of site.
> That makes sense.
>
> How about incorporating lime through a sizeable planting hole for each
> individual tree, as well as applying some overall on the surface? Others on
> the list, would that work?
>
> And again: test the specific soil on that particular site, don't just look
> at the soil map. And test in several places. You may have some sizeable
> pockets of sweeter soil.
>
> I have certainly had very good flavored peaches from a field testing in
> the low 6's. I don't know about the low 5's; maybe somebody else does.
>
>
> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
> Fresh-market organic produce, small scale
>
>
>
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment