Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Re: [nafex] 1. M41 apple rootstock and rocks (Ginda Fisher)

Thanks! In addition to writing to this list, I also called Cummins nursery. To my surprise, they answered the phone. The gentleman I spoke with said he really didn't know, but thought a foot would be enough soil, so long as what was underneath wasn't solid ledge. (It's not.) So the tree is mostly planted. I need to replace the rocks I removed from the hole with top soil, and protect the tree. I'll be wrapping the base with aluminum window screen and putting a circle of fencing around it to discourage deer.

And lots and lots of water...
--
Ginda
typed with Swype, who knows what I intended.


On April 7, 2019 12:57:58 PM EDT, Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've never had a problem with a site that has a whole foot of soil
>before
>ledge- hell, I've worked with much less than that in the hills I ply my
>trade in.
>
>I don't happen to use the Cornell roots very much, but I assume 41 is
>full
>dwarf so it really doesn't need a lot to work with.
>
>Where shallow soil can be an issue is with cold sensitive rootstocks,
>and I
>believe, even with trees susceptible to cambium burn, such as Santa
>Rosa
>plums and most of the red-fleshed J. plums. My cots seem even more
>likely
>to die when grown in shallow soil.
>
>Obviously, you haven't much a reservoir to work with so an organic
>mulch
>would help as would irrigation during dry periods. This is especially
>the
>case if there are nearby big forest trees. Their ability to suck up
>water
>extends not just beyond their limbs, but even beyond the roots due to
>mychorizal symbiosis.
>__________________
>nafex mailing list
>nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment