Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Re: [nafex] trezibond date

Henry,

You might be able to find it in one of the Middle Eastern grocers in your area as well. I have purchased it in the past and have germinated seed but it has been years since. They germinated pretty comparably with apple and pear seeds that I start. Also, I purchased a couple small trees of "King Red" from Forest Farm Nursery. One died on its own and this past spring I removed the second which wasn't thriving. I did save scion wood and did about 10 grafts on a few local Russian Olive trees. Most survived but the vigor of the Russian olive required being cutting back several times. With the scion wood I had I was considering the experiment topworking but if I had it to do over, I would cut the RO back to a 2-3 foot trunk and graft onto that. Rind grafting and cleft grafting both seemed to do well. I still have scion wood and dependent on its condition, I may try a few more grafts next spring. I am also thinking of starting a few from seed as well. Any chance I could g
et a few seeds from you? I am near Green Bay? Let me know what you want for the seed.

Locating the Igde fruit is made quite difficult by all the names. Poruk Igde, Senjed, Sencet, Oleaster, and Mountain Ash.

Thanks,

Jim Elie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry" <treehugger53ah@yahoo.com>
To: "mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:22:31 PM
Subject: [nafex] trezibond date

There does not seem to be much information about this plant.

The internet suggests it is the same species as Russian olive. The fruit is much larger and sweet.

A friend from Turkey claims it was a favored fruit among the children when he was growing up. He brought me a bag of the fruit.

They look like dates with a light brown dry skin. I broke one open with my fingernail and found a dry almost white mealiness inside. It did not look appetizing. It was sweet but not at all like a date.

I tried manually cleaning the seed and it was way too difficult. But I could clean them well with my teeth. The taste grew on me and I found myself happily cleaning the rest of them.

Does anyone know if I can expect good quality fruit from seed?

Does anyone have experience growing it in North America?

--Henry Fieldseth
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, zone 4

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment