Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Re: [nafex] Care of D. kaki seedlings

Thank you. I am wondering if the seedlings are hybrids with D.
virginiana as the leaves are not as thick and leathery as D. kaki, but
wider than D. viginiana.

I am hoping that if they are hybrids, it will confer additional winter
hardiness.

If they are hybrids, are there any special culture methods to follow?

Betsy

On 9/24/2016 10:40 PM, Jerry Lehman wrote:
> On 9/24/2016 3:54 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:
>> I have some seedlings started from seeds saved from D. kaki fruits. I
>> have learned on this list that growing these trees up to maturity is
>> sometimes problematic.
>> Does anyone have suggestions or advice to improve my chances of success?
>>
>> I was planning to overwinter in pots this year and to set out in
>> permanent sites next spring with the intention of providing vigilant
>> care.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Betsy Hilborn
>> Zone 7a, NC
> Hello Betsy,
>
> You're in zone 7a which improves your chances but still not
> guaranteed. My zone 7 chart says 0 Fahrenheit average minimum low
> temperature. That's average which means occasionally it can get lower
> than that and based on my experience kaki winter damage begins at 0
> and -10 normally spells death. Can you put it on the south side of
> your home, like only a few feet from your home. I have kept kaki
> several years 2 feet from the south side of my house and they fruited
> but when it got the -15 there wasn't enough protection.
>
> Jerry
> __________________
>

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment