Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Re: [nafex] Niwot Black Raspberry Patent (Jerry Lehman)

Let me add my congratulations on Niwot! I have 1 plant I am trying
out. Due to my illness and injury, the poor thing has been
underwatered, overrun with weeds, including vetch, and ground ivy for
two years, and, most recently, the worst: passiflora. I did finally
clear out the passiflora and anything climbing the stems and, in spite
of our drought and the blazing heat, it is currently bearing a nice fall
crop. So I'd say Niwot is vigorous.

I second everything Jerry says about them (they are lanky) and they
taste ..... wait for it .... just like Black Raspberries! :-)

Congratulations to all who assisted in this effort, my thanks to you!

Barbara Rosholdt
Central Virginia - zone 6c/7a, depending


On 9/6/2016 7:47 AM, nafex-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Congratulations on achieving the plant patent for Niwot.

We purchased 5 plants last spring and have been very pleased with it. I
am planning to rip out the old raspberry bed of which I don't remember
the original variety and I suspect now is primarily under performing
seedlings. I was under the impression that Niwot would set 2 crops, an
early summer then late fall. Quite frankly it seems to be more ever
bearing than a duel ripening season as we have been picking fruit now
for 60 days with many new clusters forming. Many of the berries are
actually dual (Siamese twin) with one being larger than the other. It is
very vigorous and I need to increase the height of the top trellis wire
to keep the cains off the ground. Presently the top wire is about 5 feet
and I should add another one 2 feet higher.

Again, congratulations and my fruit breeding hat is off to you.

Jerry Lehman
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment