Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Monday, March 28, 2016

Re: [nafex] Morus Nigra Chilling Requirements, Etc

Thanks very much Fred. This is exactly the sort of information I'm looking
for.

Nathan



On Friday, March 25, 2016, Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have M. nigra "Noir de Spain" in a pot. I overwintered it in a cool
> greenhouse where the temperature was set to 60 degrees but got down as low
> as 35 on extremely cold nights. The plant sprouted about a month ago,
> which implies that your option D would work.
>
> A few years ago, my previous greenhouse had its heater fail on a night
when
> the temperature got down to minus 15. My Morus nigra survived, but my
figs
> didn't. So your options A and B might work, but I think they are iffy.
In
> your option C, I'm sure the plant would leaf out in the basement.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Fred
> central Indiana, zone 6 (formerly zone 5b)
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Nathan Wilson <
nathan.b.c.wilson@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> What are the chilling requirements of morus nigra?
>> 1. Minimum chilling hours needed to ensure fruit set the next year.
>> 2. Maximum temperature that 'counts' as chilling hours.
>> 3. What conditions trigger the plants to break dormancy?
>> 4. What are the lowest short-term and long-term temperatures the plant
will
>> survive?
>>
>> Background information: As mentioned in a previous post, I'm in zone 5/6
>> and have morus nigra in 87 litre (23 U.S. gal) pots.
>>
>> I'm weighing my options:
>> A. Bury the plants in winter, just like some people do with figs. I'm not
>> sure if morus nigra is hardy enough for this.
>> B. Put the plants in an unheated, detached garage over winter. I think it
>> would get far too cold in January and February and would kill the plants,
>> although I haven't documented temperatures yet.
>> C. Leave the plants outside until around Christmas to satisfy chilling
>> requirements, then put them in a cool basement, which is presently 12
deg C
>> (54 deg F), and hope the plants don't break dormancy before I can bring
>> them back outside.
>> D. Greenhouse: I have a mekeshift greenhouse setup in my cellar door
>> stairway. The temperature fluctuates, but I can control it to a point.
The
>> benefit of having the plants in the greenhouse is that I think it could
>> reduce the number of years it takes the plants to bear, by making them
>> slightly healthier and more vigorous (this was pointed out by Lee Reich).
>> But, perhaps I can't have my cake and eat it too.
>>
>> Any input or experiences would be appreciated.
>>
>> -Nathan
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list
>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment