Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Re: [nafex] Late Rooted Fig Cuttings

I have dozens of figs that really only have been rooted for a couple
months, they aren't developed enough to go dormant and be stored in
the basement will all the older container figs, so I grow them out in
a sunny window, I might even feed them once or twice in early
spring... when I put them outside next spring, I will cut back most
of the winter's growth except for some structure, some growing them
thru that first winter is more for the sake of growing out the roots
than for top growth...

~mIEKAL

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net> wrote:
> My only experience is one cutting taken late in the year that pushed out
> roots in late summer, I too overwintered it indoors with some light from a
> south facing window. I did pot it up into soil for the winter and it made
> some new leaves overwinter. I planted it the next spring and although it has
> survived 5 years it has never thrived. I suspect the site though as it is in
> part shade. All my other cuttings were started in winter and I planted them
> the following season. Figs definitely respond positively to warm
> temperatures with vigorous growth.
>
> I have had back luck in general with late plantings of mail ordered young
> figs that have poor root systems. They appear to be very sensitive to winter
> injury.
>
> Betsy Hilborn
> 7a NC
>
>
> On 11/8/2015 2:41 PM, Peter Chrisbacher wrote:
>>
>> Greetings All -
>>
>> Late this summer I stumbled across a couple of new-to-me fig trees from
>> which I was able to take cuttings. Most are now rooted in 50/50
>> perlite/vermiculite. I'm wondering what the best way to get them through
>> winter is. I've brought them inside and have them sitting beside a sunny
>> south-facing window at the moment. Most still have their "nursery" leaf
>> still attached (on one cutting the leaf has fallen off, but it appears
>> fairly well-rooted).
>>
>> I'm inclined to leave them as is with leaves, keep them moist, and see
>> what
>> happens over winter.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Pete Chrisbacher
>> Wilmington DE (6b)
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list
>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment