Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Re: [nafex] Pomegranates for cold places

Thanks, Lee. That real world experience is just what I was looking for. I was looking at Sverkhranniy myself, as it seems to be one of the earliest around. I'd love a stick or two if you'd spare it. Too bad that it hasn't really shaped up in terms of quality. I've trialed lots of different subtropical and non-hardy fruits here in SE Vermont. Now that we have a high tunnel (30x48 and covered in Solawrap) I have some more options for stretching the season on some of this stuff. I'd really like a heated space so that I can grow things in the ground, but that's not in the cards for the time being. A lot of things haven't done well because the phenology is just not there. I grew out some Loquat seed and grafted named varieties onto them some years back. They flowered in early-mid winter and there just wasn't enough sunlight to size the fruit up much or give them sweetness. Lots of things I tried have thrived in warm weather but resented the abrupt shift to months long cold and dark in my well lit basement. I've also tried carambola, guava, strawberry guava, pineapple guava (Feijoa), Chilean guava (Ugni), and a couple different Annona species. Most died or failed to thrive. Probably others I'm forgetting. The things I've stuck with are Citrus and Fortunella (and their hybrids), figs (modestly successful, need to try in the ground), and tree tomatoes (Cyphomandra), which are probably the most productive for me. All seem to do just fine with extended dormancy and flower /fruit at times where the weather is reasonably copacetic. Most importantly, they actually taste good!

-Devin SmithRockingham, Vermont
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment