Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Re: [nafex] Pomegranates for cold places

Probably 15+ yrs ago, I got cuttings of two dozen different pomegranate
varieties from NCGR.
Planted them in-ground here in southern west-central KY, just 20 miles
north of the TN border - and zone 6/7interface.
All but two died out over the past decade and a half. None ever fruited.
I dug the last two survivors... probably Kazake or Salavatski - last spring
and put them in pots, as we were renovating that spot to raspberries. I
think I probably let them die over the summer when I stopped watering
potted plants in my little potted plant nursery area.
I'm brutally neglectful. If a plant can't pretty much make it on its own
with minimal to no care from me, it's eventually gonna die or be replaced.

Lucky

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 8:19 PM Devin Smith via nafex <
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Lucky mentioned rooting pomegranates. As it happens, I'm hunting around
> for a pomegranate or two that would be viable in my high tunnel here in VT.
> I'm generally of the thinking that ripening time is going to be the crucial
> thing, not so much hardiness. I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to
> winter it over in the ground or if I'll need to dig it each year. We have
> been duly impressed by the difference floating row cover has made though,
> often 5-6 degrees. Also, it's pretty remarkable how differently plants
> respond to cold in the high tunnel. We registered 27 or 28 degrees several
> times inside with no sign of frost on tender things like cucumbers, summer
> squash, and tomatoes. We have an indoor/outdoor thermometer with one right
> at ground level and the other at chest height, so temp stratification can't
> explain it. All of this makes me think that wrapping may be an option.
>
>
>
>
> Those of you growing pomegranates at the margins, what is your experience
> like? How do you protect or overwinter them? What varieties would you
> suggest?
>
> Thanks!
> -Devin SmithRockingham, Vermont
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment