Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Monday, January 23, 2023

Re: [nafex] Growing cuttings in a sand bed

Dennis,
I grew up propagating azaleas, camellias, roses with my dad, in a bed
similar to what you're describing, but ours was framed up of 2X12 boards
and contained what was initially a 50/50 mix of sand and peat moss. and
was in a fairly shady area on the east side of the house, over topped by a
couple of cherrybark oaks. No mist, but no direct sun, and they got
watered daily.
Later on, I rooted pomegranates and blueberries in it.

I've had fair success with semi-hardwood mulberry cuttings collected from
about mid-July on... making a 'humidity chamber' can be as easy as placing
a glass jar over individual cuttings, or inverting a clear plastic storage
tote over a larger group of cuttings.

Lucky

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 7:29 PM Dennis B <pogohome@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty new here but the bug has bitten and I am eager to learn what I can
> do to grow fruits, veggies and pollinating plants.
> I built myself a sand bed out of concrete blocks and will cover with a 50%
> shade cloth and install a sprinkler system to keep the cuttings moist. In
> my unheated workshop I also have an indoor misting bed filled with sand and
> bottom heat.
> Is there a list of what grows well from hardwood and also softwood
> cuttings?
> Any guidance would be appreciated.
> thanks
> Dennis
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment