Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Re: [nafex] Care of D. kaki seedlings -- mothballs warning

The PDB version, according to the sites I cited, is less toxic but still toxic enough to pose a significant hazard to pets, children, and wildlife.

I didn't know they were used by beekeepers. Hope they're right that the PDB is actually not taken up; and that those who do so have the storage area closed to prevent access by critters. The BT sounds to me like a lot better idea.



-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
Fresh-market organic produce, small scale


On Dec 11, 2016, at 7:26 AM, Peter Chrisbacher wrote:

> Re Mothballs...
>
> Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) mothballs are commonly used by beekeepers to
> protect stored comb from attack by wax moths. Beekeepers are warned to NOT
> use the napthalene Mothballs variety, as it is absorbed by the wax comb,
> whereas the PDB is (supposedly) not.
>
> Based on this and other warning I have seen for napthalene, whenever I buy
> mothballs (very infrequently), I always buy the PDB variety.
>
> I don't use Mothballs for comb protection, by the way - I protect my comb
> with a light spray of a particular strain of BT.
>
> -Pete
> Kennett Square PA - 6b





__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment