Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Re: [nafex] Envy Apple

Jerry,

Thank you for the additional input.

I find Jazz of all things to be the biggest offender in this regard. The were on sale for 2.39 a lb so I bought 5 apples. Well of the 3 we ate two were starch with a hint of sweetness and one had a level of flavor but was clearly past prime. The other two I am guessing are starchier and will store for a few weeks. :(

I generally eat 2-4 apples a day, and this mess just saddens me. Oh well, more reason to grow your own. Thank gosh I still have a few Liberties left from my own tree. Yummy things that they are though not complex enough to arouse my senses.

You are so clearly right about tastes. I am fortunate that I still have my taste buds and a rather developed palate. So I am all over the place in my taste in apples, vinous, aromatic, balanced, tart, sweet and the oddities like Sweet 16 all delight me.

A wonderful Nafex buddy sent me some apples this year, and I we had a tantalizing euphoric experience with the complexity of his Holstein, Elstar, and Karjminji, totally awesome and the woman, boy and I were just delighted. Awesome Honeycrisp too, but while ever so pleasing it just did not excite the imagination like Karminji did but certainly warmed the soul.

Happy New Year every one. And please let's try and make this list a bit more active. It is too good a resource to languish.

The fluffy bunny


--- jwlehmantree@gmail.com wrote:

From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [nafex] Envy Apple
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 08:34:52 -0500

On 1/8/2016 11:24 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
> I am finding many of the new club apples really need to be stored and sampled in order to achieve anything above ordinary in flavor. Which is to say, they are very expensive because so many are wasted in the sampling. There seems to be no correlation between them either. So you 5 of the same variety and one may taste okay and 3 eeks later another one may now taste great but the remaining 3 may suck.
>
> So while they may be enforcing growing standards it appears to me that there is huge breakdown in the distribution process, mixing apples so the consumer has not idea when they are actually ready to eat. I have been very, very disappointed with what boils down to a crap shoot to land a good tasting one.
The fluffy one is correct, apple flavors do change with length of time
in storage and even at storage temperature. Also one's evaluation is
dependent upon his personal preferences. Example: Some years back I
bought a variety from Starks named Fall Gold. It is a yellow apple,
large, very very crisp (literally snaps when you bite into it), very
juicy but flat on flavor. My son believed it was the most awesome apple
he ever bit into, I wouldn't give you a nickel for bushel basketful of
them. I love Mutsu, not nearly as firm (even mealy after storage), not
nearly as juicy but full of fantastic flavor by my taste buds. All of
my neighbors make regular trips to the tree as they love it. The point
is what's awesome to one person isn't awesome to everyone. I have
purchased Envy and I thought the taste improved after sitting on the
kitchen table for a week but would much rather have Mutsu. _

To each his own crapshoot_. Ah, this gives me an idea for naming test
varieties in one's breeding orchard, Crapshoot-1, Crapshoot-2,
Crapshoot-3 etc.

Jerry




_____________________________________________________________
The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment