Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Re: [nafex] Envy Apple

Lawrence (all),

So I found the name intriguing: Stayman Starkspur Winesap

So a couple of questions, is it really a Stayman class apple, in other words does it taste like Stayman (see footnote #1)?

And is this a tight spur tree like a columnar tree? I am looking to graft some decorative trees for some friends in NC, but I really need a columnar form for their landscape needs.

I checked there does not seem to be many cedars around them, so the usual CAR issue with Stayman should not be an overwhelming issue.

I assume this is also triploid that is fairly vigorous and has the usual pollen problems?

regards,

the fluffy one

Footnote(s)

#1 Stayman is an apple, when well grown, I find very pleasant to snack on, never complicated but interesting texture with a pleasant, yet light, vinous flavor). It is one of the best apples I can think of to eat very chilled after a very hard workout or after a lot of digging when you are hot and thirsty. It is refreshing like a cold Seven-up. I bought a few at a farmers market in D.C. back in November and finished them off all too quickly after my workouts and digging in the garden. What a nice pick me up.

And, drum roll, Stayman is very good with Le Gruyere cheese. The dry, crumbles and moderate yet intense flavor of Le Gruyere pairs very well with the sprightly and juicy Stayman. The bonus comes in with the texture interplay. Stayman has that Mac/Snow type texture, crisp but like a snowcone as is dissolves in you mouth, it work so well with the dry crumbly texture of Le Gruyere. I only mention this as it took me a while to find a cheese that worked well with Stayman. Kerry gold Dublinger was my runner up with Stayman but falls far short with this particular apple. Go with the Le Gruyere. For a more substantial snack add a pumpernickel rye with a little ground mustard or horseradish.

--- lfljvenaura@gmail.com wrote:

From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [nafex] Envy Apple
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 19:07:52 -0500

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 6:54 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com
> wrote:

> I generally eat 2-4 apples a day, and this mess just saddens me. Oh well,
> more reason to grow your own. Thank gosh I still have a few Liberties left
> from my own tree. Yummy things that they are though not complex enough to
> arouse my senses.


Stayman Starkspur Winesap, fat, large, squat, rough skin and grainy flesh
is one of the best apples in existence, multi-purpose and keeps well into
May, refrigerated. One of my favorites. I got bushels from a large tree in
the country near me in NC.
Chill a few of them, core and quarter them and put through a hand crank
meat grinder with coarse screen. Instant applesauce. Mix with chopped
Barhis dates for a breakfast delight. Can't be beat.


--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com
https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/




_____________________________________________________________
The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment