Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, now climate

It is helpful to readers to know where "here" is.

The first-serve I joined asked us to include these five things in our signature: name, city, state, country, and growing zone.

--Henry Fieldseth
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, Zone 4


On Thursday, August 18, 2022, 07:15:05 AM CDT, Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net> wrote:


> On Aug 17, 2022, at 11:45 PM, Devin Smith via nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
>
> Your description of your local climate sounds very familiar indeed. Quite similar story here. Historically I've read we had in the neighborhood of 130 frost free days on a good site in my neck of the woods. I've been here for 16 years and most years we've had more like 150 days. A couple of exceptional years we've had probably 165. I figure on mid-May to mid-Oct. for tender things, with a killing frost occurring a week or two on either side. Most things need to be picked by Nov. 1 at the latest, as we'll have low-mid twenties by then, and it's very overcast, so not much ripening potential to wring out of those short days.

When I first moved to this area, in the 1970's, there'd sometimes be frost in September, and almost always by mid-October. The first time it didn't frost till November, I was astonished. Now first frost is routinely late October or into November, and I haven't seen a September frost in years.


>  I have some really nice native perennial Physalis that you might like. I love the fruit but unfortunately have some pest issues that seem to put a big dent in my harvest lately.

And there's part of the downside -- pests moving out of what used to be their area, and/or producing more generations.

Glad to see this list alive -- another of my farm email groups just resurrected itself, too.

-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
Fresh-market organic produce, small scale

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment