Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Thursday, December 16, 2021

Re: [nafex] mealy medlars?

Hi,

I would be curious to hear folks bletting tips as well. I have had the same experience as Jay, bringing medlars indoors to blet. When I have waited until after a hard freeze to harvest, I get a larger proportion of pulpy fruit, but still about half are mealy. This year I left the medlars on the trees until they were fully (or mostly) bletted and that seemed to work best. I didn't get any mealy ones though some ripe fruit did drop to the ground.

Shelley
NC 7b


On Wed, Dec 15, 2021, at 11:27 PM, Jay Cutts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This is my first year having fruit on my young medlar. I've tried to
> follow bletting instructions.
>
> Some of the fruits are quite soft now but when I open them, they are
> brown, dry, and mealy.  They have almost no sweetness at all.
>
> They seem to be going directly from hard to mealy. From what I've seen,
> they are supposed to be soft and gooey and sweet.
>
> I can't imagine that they can get to the gooey stage from this mealy
> stage but I'm letting some continue to sit out to see what happens.
>
> Anyone have any idea why they are dry and mealy?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Jay
>
> Jay Cutts
> Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
> Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
> Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Flash Cards
> Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book
> (505) 281-0684 (landline, no texts)
> (505) 717-6394 (cell, text or voicemail)
> 10 am to 10 pm Mt Time, 7 days
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment