Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Re: [nafex] Grafting Tape Choices

I have used Parafilm M for many years . (we by rolls of it to sell in
pieces at our scion exchanges). I like it to keep in the moisture and use
it to wrap the entire scion . Since i do not take it off, if I have lost a
tag, I can tell from the state of the film if it is a 1, 2 or 3 year old
graft and then can look up in my records and do a process of elimination
for identification .For strength, I use florist stretchy green tape to tie
the join and the scion area and leave a longish tail on it of several
inches -- works very well since I can see and easily find a graft in the
summer in the leaves. The green tape is taken off at the end of the year.

Idell

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex <nafex-bounces+iwgarden=earthlink.net@lists.ibiblio.org> On
Behalf Of Louis Pittman
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 7:01 PM
To: mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
<nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting Tape Choices

I have used Parafilm M for 25 years...do not like the Parafilm 'grafting
tape'.
That said, I use Parafilm ONLY to seal in moisture...It does NOT provide any
significant support strength, so I always overwrap the graft union with at
least a couple of wraps of masking tape...or, more frequently, masking tape
and then a rubber band.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020, 6:19 PM sherwin <sherwindu@att.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many of the orchardists I know use non-breathable grafting tape with
> reasonable results. I usually use Parafilm because I think it allows
> the graft to breath. Is this an unnecessary reason to use Parafilm?
> Other grafting tapes can also be applied easily, so why use Parafilm?
>
> Sherwin Dubren
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters subscribe/unsubscribe|user
> config|list info:
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters subscribe/unsubscribe|user
config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment