Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Friday, April 24, 2020

[nafex] Idell's remark on grafting peaches

"those who I know do it successfully wit until the weather is much
warmer"

On the forum in which I am a staff-member, growingfruit.org, we discuss the
best time to graft peaches and plums regularly and by my experience, it
isn't necessary enough to wait until the weather is warm, whether you mean
in the '60's, 70's or 80's. These days I spread my grafting to try to find
the sweet spot for peaches and nects and I begin to believe there is none.
I always wait at least until petal fall and continue for a month.

Some years they take well and others they don't, but once again, I'm not
being scientific enough about it by matching weather records with success,
but based on the testimony of many members there doesn't really seem to be
a precise rhyme or reason we've come up with.

Plums are something between peaches and apples in terms of percentage of
successful grafts, and right now I'm working on the assumption that you can
successfully graft Japanese plums earlier in the season than E. plums. One
very thoughtful grafter who claims a very high percentage of takes grafts
J. plums at first growth.

This year spring has been so cool, I just don't feel like doing a lot of
grafting, no matter how the wood may feel about it. Done quite a few apple
grafts and as an experiment, several J. plums. Tomorrow I will do more of
both- warmest day in a while. I'm looking forward to better bee and fly
activity in remaining peach, nect and plum blossoms here in S. NY.
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment