Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Friday, March 29, 2019

Re: [nafex] Seckle or Calleryanna?

On 3/29/2019 8:01 PM, alexis wrote:
> I was visiting a friend of mine today. She showed me her Seckle
> (Seckel) on calleryana rootstock. The tree was going up like a pine,
> and had lots of small flowers clustered very tightly. It looked in
> fact exactly like the flowering pear across the street (where all you
> can see this time of year is white...) I am wondering if somehow the
> roostock sprouted up and now the tree is the rootsock. I have a bunch
> of pear trees, and though there is a lot of variation in flower
> density, I don't have any that have anywhere near the density of small
> flowers that the flowering pears have. (I used to think I had a
> seckle, then I realized it was mis-labeled, though it makes fine
> fruit....)
>
> So, if this tree she has is really callery, I can wack it off and
> graft it into something edible. But can anybody tell me, given the
> limited information presented here, does a real seckle have a bloom
> density anywhere near a flowering pear?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexis
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
    Alex,

    I also have a Seckel Pear and it does indeed put out a lot of blossoms.

    Have you examined the graft union to see if a scion did indeed meld
with the rootstock?

    I would wait until the tree bears fruit before doing anything drastic.

     The only cases I know of the root stock taking over is when the
graft union is too low and

      the rootstock starts to grow upwards anchored in the soil. Is
there more than one branch

      growing, possibly in addition to the scion?

                 Sherwin Dubren

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment