Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Friday, March 29, 2019

Re: [nafex] Seckle or Calleryanna?

The bazillion or so 'volunteer' callery seedlings taking over the
countryside are mostly pretty thorny.
If this skyrocketing tree is even remotely thorny, I'd bet on it being
callery rootstock, and not Seckel

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019, 9:08 PM alexis <alex@conev.org> wrote:

> I was visiting a friend of mine today. She showed me her Seckle (Seckel)
> on calleryana rootstock. The tree was going up like a pine, and had lots
> of small flowers clustered very tightly. It looked in fact exactly like
> the flowering pear across the street (where all you can see this time of
> year is white...) I am wondering if somehow the roostock sprouted up and
> now the tree is the rootsock. I have a bunch of pear trees, and though
> there is a lot of variation in flower density, I don't have any that
> have anywhere near the density of small flowers that the flowering pears
> have. (I used to think I had a seckle, then I realized it was
> mis-labeled, though it makes fine fruit....)
>
> So, if this tree she has is really callery, I can wack it off and graft
> it into something edible. But can anybody tell me, given the limited
> information presented here, does a real seckle have a bloom density
> anywhere near a flowering pear?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexis
>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment