Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Re: [nafex] goumi and mold

Shelly, I grow 2 varieties in your area. I do not have problems with mold. I have them about 6 feet apart and they are at least 7 feet high. They have sun from mid morning through sunset. They have moderate air flow only. Contact me off list if you wish to discussBetsy Hilborn Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Shelley Rogers <shelleyrogers@eml.cc>
Date: 11/13/2018 5:19 PM (GMT+01:00)
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [nafex] goumi and mold

Hello NAFEXers,Has anyone encountered difficulty with mold on goumi? I am in the southeast where humidity presents a real challenge for fruit growing.I have found that goumi are quite astringent until ripe (when they can easily be pulled from their stems) but that by the time they are ripe, a black mold begins to appear on the surface and quickly spreads between fruit. For the two years the plants have been fruiting, I have lost the majority of the crop to the mold. This year, I covered the plants with a low-tunnel (with the sides open) to keep the plants dry. Even this did not seem to reduce the mold spread. I could probably be more cognizant of only harvesting when the dew has dried. I am not certain if goumi will continue ripening off the plant. Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions or recommendations?I love the taste of goumi and they are popular with my market customers. They seem worthwhile if I can figure out a solution to the mold. Thank you,Shelley Orby Dare OrchardCedar Grove, NC__________________nafex mailing listnafex@lists.ibiblio.orgNorthamerican Allied Fruit Experimenterssubscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment