Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

[nafex] goumi and mold

Hello NAFEXers,

Has anyone encountered difficulty with mold on goumi? I am in the southeast where humidity presents a real challenge for fruit growing.

I have found that goumi are quite astringent until ripe (when they can easily be pulled from their stems) but that by the time they are ripe, a black mold begins to appear on the surface and quickly spreads between fruit. For the two years the plants have been fruiting, I have lost the majority of the crop to the mold. This year, I covered the plants with a low-tunnel (with the sides open) to keep the plants dry. Even this did not seem to reduce the mold spread. I could probably be more cognizant of only harvesting when the dew has dried. I am not certain if goumi will continue ripening off the plant. Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions or recommendations?

I love the taste of goumi and they are popular with my market customers. They seem worthwhile if I can figure out a solution to the mold.

Thank you,
Shelley

Orby Dare Orchard
Cedar Grove, NC
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment