Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Re: [nafex] My poor young quince

Would that have been 'Chinese quince', Pseudocydonia sinensis?

I had two that I'd grown from seed... were about 8 ft tall... and had
blossomed once or twice, but set no fruit. Polar vortex of winter 2014-15
killed them back to the snowline(6" above ground). I cut them off at
ground level hoping that they would resprout, but alas, they did not.
It'a a neat tree. Exfoliating bark, like some of the crepe myrtles, lovely
flowers, great red-orange fall color... and big quince-like fruits.

LUcky

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
wrote:

> Thanks Anton,
>
> I had always focused on fireblight as the problem, not knowing that
> quinces also are severely impacted by rust.
>
> Do you have contact information for Lester?
>
> Best wishes,
> Betsy
>
> On 5/21/2016 11:42 AM, Anton Callaway wrote:
>
>> Betsy,
>>
>> I've been growing quinces for a few decades, but have just about given up
>> because of rust. If you can't wipe out all the red cedar trees within a 10
>> mile radius (that's an exaggeration), then you will have problems with
>> rust. My last ditch effort was to bring in a 'Lisle's Special' quince,
>> which was purported to be resistant to rust. It is not. I took out the
>> tree last year. The only quince I have remaining is a seedling of Lisle's
>> Special. It is also showing a lot of rust. I expect it will be yanked
>> out, too in a few years.
>>
>> Sorry for the bad news. I love the fruit also.
>>
>> Lester Davis gave me a quince-like tree a few years ago. It is certainly
>> not C. oblonga, but the fruit is similar in flavor. It gets rust, but not
>> so severely that I want to remove it. It also has a wonderful fragrance
>> akin to the C. oblonga fruit from my grandmother's yard and the exfoliating
>> bark is quite ornamental. You might contact him for more information.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Anton
>> Piedmont region of NC, near RTP
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>>
>>> From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
>>> Sent: May 17, 2016 8:38 PM
>>> To: mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters <
>>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
>>> Subject: [nafex] My poor young quince
>>>
>>> I have never tried growing Cydonia oblonga before as we have severe fire
>>> blight here. However, a site opened up with good ventilation and first
>>> AM sun. I love the fruit so I bought a tree. It arrived in our warm
>>> early spring, I was able to protect it from the late freezes. It was
>>> vigorous and put out at least 10 inches of new growth with healthy
>>> leaves.
>>>
>>> Now, although it has escaped fire blight, it is suffering extensively
>>>
>> >from rust. The apical meristem is brown and necrotic, each leaf is at
>>
>>> least somewhat deformed and every petiole is swelling with future
>>> fruiting bodies. One petiole has already started releasing spores.
>>>
>>> I feel like I have staked a goat out in a tiger infested jungle.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone have experience with this? Is this young tree destined
>>> to die a long, protracted death, or can it survive this severe rust
>>> infection? I would rather rip the quince out if it is a hopeless cause
>>> for survival. This IS a bad rust year, my apples are suffering too - not
>>> every year is so bad....
>>>
>>>
>>> Betsy Hilborn
>>> 7a Central NC
>>>
>>>
>>> __________________
>>> nafex mailing list
>>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>>> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>>> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>>
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list
>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>>
>>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment