Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Re: [nafex] My poor young quince

Thanks Anton,

I had always focused on fireblight as the problem, not knowing that
quinces also are severely impacted by rust.

Do you have contact information for Lester?

Best wishes,
Betsy

On 5/21/2016 11:42 AM, Anton Callaway wrote:
> Betsy,
>
> I've been growing quinces for a few decades, but have just about given up because of rust. If you can't wipe out all the red cedar trees within a 10 mile radius (that's an exaggeration), then you will have problems with rust. My last ditch effort was to bring in a 'Lisle's Special' quince, which was purported to be resistant to rust. It is not. I took out the tree last year. The only quince I have remaining is a seedling of Lisle's Special. It is also showing a lot of rust. I expect it will be yanked out, too in a few years.
>
> Sorry for the bad news. I love the fruit also.
>
> Lester Davis gave me a quince-like tree a few years ago. It is certainly not C. oblonga, but the fruit is similar in flavor. It gets rust, but not so severely that I want to remove it. It also has a wonderful fragrance akin to the C. oblonga fruit from my grandmother's yard and the exfoliating bark is quite ornamental. You might contact him for more information.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton
> Piedmont region of NC, near RTP
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
>> Sent: May 17, 2016 8:38 PM
>> To: mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
>> Subject: [nafex] My poor young quince
>>
>> I have never tried growing Cydonia oblonga before as we have severe fire
>> blight here. However, a site opened up with good ventilation and first
>> AM sun. I love the fruit so I bought a tree. It arrived in our warm
>> early spring, I was able to protect it from the late freezes. It was
>> vigorous and put out at least 10 inches of new growth with healthy leaves.
>>
>> Now, although it has escaped fire blight, it is suffering extensively
> >from rust. The apical meristem is brown and necrotic, each leaf is at
>> least somewhat deformed and every petiole is swelling with future
>> fruiting bodies. One petiole has already started releasing spores.
>>
>> I feel like I have staked a goat out in a tiger infested jungle.
>>
>> So, does anyone have experience with this? Is this young tree destined
>> to die a long, protracted death, or can it survive this severe rust
>> infection? I would rather rip the quince out if it is a hopeless cause
>> for survival. This IS a bad rust year, my apples are suffering too - not
>> every year is so bad....
>>
>>
>> Betsy Hilborn
>> 7a Central NC
>>
>>
>> __________________
>> nafex mailing list
>> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
>> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment