Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Re: [nafex] Now: Northstar cherries - Was: Saving cherries from the birds

Thanks! I appreciate the cultural details. I had envisioned a central
leader...

On 2/4/2016 1:27 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
> Betsy,
>
> I have been growing Northstars for about 20 years now...
>
> They are very attractive landscape trees.
>
> You can easily hold them at 6 feet so they can be netted completely. I suggest you prune to a classic vase shape with 4 main scaffolds.
>
> The are susceptible to brown rot, although I usually do not spray for it as I have enough trees that I still get enough fruit. Also if you train as I suggested you can mitigate it through cultural practices as well as the application of a box fan after it rains etc.
>
> There appears to be strains out there also, with some with larger fruit than others.
>
> They hang well on the tree, and I harvest mine for weeks and week sat all stages of ripeness. But if you let them stay on the tree for along, long time they will become very dark and sweeten up some, becoming a delicious sweet-tart.
>
> I usually spray mine once for PC, and that is all they need to keep the PC off them. I pit all mine etc, and now and then there is a larvae in there but it is very, very rare for me. So one spray it is.
>
> Kindest regards...
>
> the fluffy bunny
>
>
>
> --- ehilborn@mebtel.net wrote:
>
> From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
> To: mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [nafex] Saving cherries from the birds (Good Fruit Grower)
> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 06:58:44 -0500
>
> I have nothing to measure yet. My tree is not bearing. They will be
> North Star 'sour' cherries.
>
> I would imagine they will be smaller than the sweet store bought Bing
> cherries. Does anyone have experience with this variety?
>
> Betsy
>
>
> _____________________________________________________________
> The Free Email with so much more!
> =====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment