Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Thursday, October 22, 2015

[nafex] Identifying Persimmon Varieties

Several old nearby orchards have grafted persimmon trees I'd like to *try*
to identify, but it appears this will be a bit of a challenge. Unlike figs
with their somewhat unique leaves, persimmon leaves all look very similar
(to me).

I should be able to get approximate relative ripening dates as well as
fruit sizes and colors. I also know/can get some other traits like "drop
when ripe" or "tend to hang on tree after ripe."

The good news is I have a list of likely suspects.

Orchard 1 Candidates:

1. Early Golden
2. Lambert (suppsedly larger than Early Golden with few seeds(?))
3. Burhman (supposedly purple bloom and dark maroon fruit) - probably
not a match for any of the remaining trees
4. Josephine (supposedly like Early Golden but slightly earlier)

My biggest problem is that all of the above assume I have access to a known
Early Golden in the same vicinity, which I don't.

Orchard 2 will be more difficult as there's a longer list of candidates as
well as many more trees. I'll post later if there's interest.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Is there any specific Early Golden (fall)
fruit or tree trait or traits I can look for? Is anyone aware of a type
reference, hopefully with color photos?

Thanks!

-Pete



Pete Chrisbacher
Wilmington, DE
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment