Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Friday, October 24, 2014

Re: [nafex] walnut hybrid - Carpathian walnut range

Where do Carpathian walnuts do well on the east coast? I always though
it was too warm, too much disease here in 7a NC.

Will they thrive in the Appalachians in zone 6?

Betsy Hilborn, DVM
NCSU 1993

On 10/24/2014 12:30 PM, R. Keith Etheridge wrote:
> Hi Mary
> I think quite possibly I'm the oldest NAFEX veterinarian as I
> graduated from Illinois veterinary college in'53 (second class).
> 3 or 4 years later I bought 80 acres of brush weeds and some worn out
> farm land nine miles from my residence. I had it cleared for pasture
> and farm land
> At the time there were no walnut trees and I planted 3 seedlings from
> the family farm.Later when I dispersed the cattle and put the marginal
> crop land in CRP Planted numerous seeds
> by stomping in the ground.Along with a few trees I bench grafted and
> the hybrid seedlings constitute the The genetic material of the
> thousands of walnuts I have.
> I remember the area I planted the hybrids so will keep looking.
> Keith
>
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Mary Yett
> Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:25 PM
> To: mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> Subject: Re: [nafex] walnut hybrid
>
> This sounds very interesting. I too would love to see a picture. I am too
> far north to grow carpathian walnuts ( or at least so far), but black
> walnuts do well here on Manitoulin Island ( in Lake Huron - Ontario's
> near
> north, zone 4b). I love to eat black walnuts, but any improvement in
> cracking them that grows on fairly hardy tree would be most exciting,
>
> I have around 25 or so black walnut seedlings of local stock started
> Spring
> of 2014 and would be interested in getting scion wood from your
> tree,maybe
> in Winter/Spring of 2016, when my trees are big enough to graft. Would
> you
> be interested in selling me some some day?
>
> It makes me chuckle that I now know of 3 veterinarians who are active in
> NAFEX and have been growing nut trees for decades-- you, me and Lucky
> Pitmann. Maybe that is because vets tend to be all a bit "nutty'.
>
> Mary Yett ( Auburn, class of '82)
>
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM, R. Keith Etheridge
> <goatdoc@ctitech.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jerry
>> After I posted this I searched the internet and other than the thick
>> light
>> fibrous husk the nut shows no sign of Carpathian traits.There are other
>> trees in the area I planted the
>> hybrid seedlings so I'll start checking the nuts from them.
>> Thanks
>> Keith
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Jwlehman--- via nafex
>> Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:21 PM
>> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>> Subject: Re: [nafex] walnut hybrid
>>
>>
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> Can you supply pictures?
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>>
>> In a message dated 10/14/2014 4:20:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>> goatdoc@ctitech.com writes:
>>
>> Kincaid Illinois is a few miles west of Taylorville Illinois where I
>> was a
>> veterinarian. It was created as a coal mining town where a large portion
>> of the miners were Italian immigrants.
>> One of my clients of Italian extraction had a large Carpathian
>> walnut in
>> her yard with many dogs.Knowing my interests she shared several nuts
>> with
>> me. When they germinated
>> they produced what appeared to be a black walnut seedlings that I
>> planted.
>> I'm a very poor record keeper but I have a tree thirty or more years
>> later
>> that produces a pear shape
>> husk that a appears more fibrous and organized than other black walnuts
>> and produced a nut that cracks somewhat easier than the run of the
>> mill.Not
>> dry enough to evaluate.
>> I think at one time the USDA had walnut hybrid station that was
>> terminated
>> due to lack of success.
>> Keith
>> __________________

__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info|make a donation toward list maintenance:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
message archives
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex
Google message archive search:
site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex [searchstring]
nafex list mirror sites:
http://ifneb.blogspot.com IFNEB Blog
http://groups.google.com/group/permaculturelist
http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist
https://sites.google.com/site/nafexmailinglist
Avant Geared http://www.avantgeared.com

No comments:

Post a Comment