Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Re: [nafex] Care of D. kaki seedlings

I'm not sure what your overwintering plan is, but in my experience
wintering seedlings in pots, persimmons are some of the most difficult. I
generally experience 100% death if they are kept outside above ground over
winter, even in a sheltered location or with leaves or chips mounded around
the pots. Same with paw paws, BTW.

I generally only had success overwintering them in pots by bringing them
into my ancient stone basement, where they probably averaged 45-50 degrees
all winter. I checked for moisture and watered them once or twice, and they
leafed out fine when brought up in May after most frosts. I tried the same
with my figs in pots, and the problem was they wanted to leaf out in Feb or
March, which is way too early in m location. The persimmons wouldn't leaf
out until it got warm, so they were fine.

I'm guessing Kaki are even more freezing sensitive. These were all straight
American.

Matt
zone 5, SE MI

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
wrote:

> Thank you. I am wondering if the seedlings are hybrids with D. virginiana
> as the leaves are not as thick and leathery as D. kaki, but wider than D.
> viginiana.
>
> I am hoping that if they are hybrids, it will confer additional winter
> hardiness.
>
> If they are hybrids, are there any special culture methods to follow?
>
> Betsy
>
>
> On 9/24/2016 10:40 PM, Jerry Lehman wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/2016 3:54 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:
>>
>>> I have some seedlings started from seeds saved from D. kaki fruits. I
>>> have learned on this list that growing these trees up to maturity is
>>> sometimes problematic.
>>> Does anyone have suggestions or advice to improve my chances of success?
>>>
>>> I was planning to overwinter in pots this year and to set out in
>>> permanent sites next spring with the intention of providing vigilant care.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Betsy Hilborn
>>> Zone 7a, NC
>>>
>> Hello Betsy,
>>
>> You're in zone 7a which improves your chances but still not guaranteed.
>> My zone 7 chart says 0 Fahrenheit average minimum low temperature. That's
>> average which means occasionally it can get lower than that and based on my
>> experience kaki winter damage begins at 0 and -10 normally spells death.
>> Can you put it on the south side of your home, like only a few feet from
>> your home. I have kept kaki several years 2 feet from the south side of my
>> house and they fruited but when it got the -15 there wasn't enough
>> protection.
>>
>> Jerry
>> __________________
>>
>>
> __________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
> subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment