Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Monday, September 21, 2015

Re: [nafex] Yates persimmon update

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Elizabeth <ehilborn@mebtel.net> wrote:

> I previously posted in 2014 that I was perplexed why my 'Yates' persimmon
> contained seeds for the first time since I planted it. The tree has been
> bearing for about 4 years total. I live in an area with only 60 chromosome
> natives. There are no other 90 chromosome trees nearby (to my knowledge)
> except in my orchard.


Betsey:
FWIW you might want to contact Walter Atwater on Collins Road, in your
extended neighborhood. He has two persimmon trees that are very old, large
caliper - 12" at least, literally dripping with large ripening persimmons
with good orange coloration. I found a single ripe one
that had at least five seeds and good flavor. A storm broke out the largest
top branches years ago otherwise it would be very tall and a bearer record
breaker. Fruit are very round with consistent large size. I can't remember
ever seeing a local wild persimmon tree of this quality. Walter would
probably be willing to have you visit to see the trees, gather some fruit
for seeds or take cuttings. The soil on this land is average but has good
water holding capacity. The trees are growing on a slight eastward slope
with good sun exposure.
LL


--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com
https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/
__________________
nafex mailing list
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters
subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

No comments:

Post a Comment