Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters

Northamerican Alied Fruit Experimenters
nafex list at ibiblio - http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

[nafex] OH interstem hawthorn success

Doing some grafting this year, I happened upon a hawthorn I had experimentally grafted to the Asian variety Korean Giant using an interstem of OH87. In the past Asians on hawthorn sans interstem have taken but refused to grow even a few inches. I had one flower when ankle high before dying. I was thrilled then to see this tree had grown nearly 3 ft. with strong side branching, this in the midst of a dense patch of goldenrod with no care at all. I grafted low intending to bury the union if necessary, but the union looks pretty normal actually, so maybe this will prove unnecessary.
-Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment